Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How to Write a Powerful Sales Letter by Marc Charles

The best training I received for writing powerful sales letters is when my life depended on it.

When I did not have the security of a job, income, or someone supporting me.

Case in point. I was 18 years old....and on my own. I could not get a job. My "job of a lifetime" at a top bank was over. I had to work, pay rent, keep the lights on and eat once in a while.

I decided I would start a business cleaning and painting swimming pools. I was in Minnesota mind you....and it was April or May. People do not start swimming in Minnesota until June.

But that's just it. I figured if I landed 6-7 swimming pool accounts in April my customers would be ready to go by the end of May.

I went to a local swimming pool contractor and asked for their customer list. The owner said, "Are you nuts? It took us 10 years to build that stupid list, let alone the referrals!"






"No, no....I said. I'm not building swimming pools, I'm only painting and sealing them. And I can sell them your chemicals, pumps and junk".

The owner smiled and printed a list of more than 3,000 customers! I studied the list and picked 50 customers with the oldest pools (and probably needed painting".

And then I wrote a sales letter. I focused on the customer's family and friends, and how embarrassing it is to have a pool that is cracked, chipping and had boring colors.

I mailed 50 letters, and received more than 20 calls, and about 6-7 snail mail responses!

I called on each prospect -- and kept the focus on their family and friends....and how embarrassing it is to have something falling apart.

I think every person bought my service...or close to it.

I did this without copywriting classes, studying writers, reading, attending conferences or seeking mentors.

My life depended on it. My life depends on it today too. I wrote a letter last week as if my life depended on it. I'll let you know how it goes....but I'm confident I'll close the sale.


Marc Charles




Check Out My Books on Amazon (and speaking schedule) 

No comments:

Post a Comment